Reasons to eat breakfast
- Eating a healthy breakfast kick-starts our metabolism, enabling us to burn calories more efficiently which contributes to good weight management and is essential for blood sugar management
- If we eat an energy sustaining breakfast that is filling, then we’re less likely to overeat at lunchtime.
- Steer clear of sugary cereals and refined carbohydrates such as big-name brand breakfast cereals, white toast, breakfast muffins and bagels. Try my high protein banana bread or pimped up porridge instead
- Eating a good breakfast can get us on the right track and help us to be more focused and productive throughout the day
- Never have just coffee! It will put you on a rollercoaster of energy highs and lows, mood swings, headaches and cravings.
- Consuming breakfast (depending on the type) may help you reach recommended amounts of certain nutrients each day
- Eating breakfast can improve your morning training routine whether it is hitting the gym or going for a run.
What if you really can’t face breakfast in the morning?
If you really can't face eating breakfast, remember to rehydrate.
Try breaking your fast with half a pint of warm water and the juice of half a lemon or a few drops of unfiltered apple cider vinegar (ACV). The bitterness helps wake up digestion and stimulate digestive enzymes making your body ready for the intake of food.
Reasons to stay hydrated:
- 65% of the body is water
- Required for optimum brain function
- Dehydration can reduce concentration by 13%
- Dehydration can reduce memory by 7%
- Limit tea and coffee. These reduce overall hydration and lead to fluctuations in energy and weight
We also discussed fasting and when fasting can be helpful in weightloss
If you really want to fast*, fasting for 12 hours overnight can be helpful, for some people. It's best to do this with one-to-one professional help. Contact me to discuss your health goals.
Benefits of 12 hour fasting may include:
- Improved insulin sensitivity
- Increase in resting energy expenditure
- Increase in human growth hormone (the hormone that supresses appetite)
- Changes in gene expression related to longevity and protection against disease
*If you are diabetic or have a health condition speak to your doctor before making any changes to your diet