The health benefits of quinoa are endless:
- Complete protein, meaning it naturally contains all nine essential amino acids, a rare occurrence for a food that is prepared like a grain. This makes it a great choice for vegans, athletes or convalescents.
- Especially high in lysine, which is important for tissue growth and repair as well as the sleep promoting amino acid L-tryptophan.
- Rich in iron, important for energy production and healthy blood
- Phosphorous, important for healthy bone density
- Quinoa contains twice as much fibre as most other grains. Fibre aids digestion, lowers total cholesterol, keeps your pipes regular and clear and keeps you fuller for longer as it is slow releasing; great if you are trying to lose weight!
- It is high in magnesium, the mineral that relaxes blood vessels. As low dietary levels of magnesium are linked to increased rates of high blood pressure and heart disease, quinoa could support cardiovascular health.
Now I’d like to hear from you.
In the comment section below, please share your ideas and experiences. I love to hear from you all.
If you're new to quinoa, I think you'll love this recipe for coconut quinoa here