Swap the sugary, processed and over-priced 'two-minute porridge pots' for your own two-minute porridge pot filled with your favourite toppings. Porridge is nicest on the stove but if you're in a hurry these can be made in two minutes in the microwave and you won't pay a premium for the plastic packaging.
What you'll need:
- 1 deep breakfast cereal bowl
- 30-50g porridge oats (I favour Flahavan's porridge oats, they taste better or maybe they just remind me of home... Any porridge oats will do)
- Water (I do roughly equal parts oats to water (maybe just slightly more water), if you prefer a thinner consistency add more)
- Splash of organic soy milk
Here's a few of my favourite ways to pimp my porridge:
- Stewed apple, cinnamon and a sprinkling of shelled hemp seeds
- Pumpkin seeds, ground flaxseeds and 1 teaspoon St. Dalfour sugar free raspberry jam
- 1 tsp. almond butter and sliced banana
- Banana flavour: add a few slices of banana to the oats before cooking. Sprinkle with flaked almonds and coconut on serving.
- Pink porridge: add a 3-4 frozen raspberries to the oats before cooking (dyes your porridge a wonderful pink colour). Stir in 1 teaspoon almond butter on serving
How to make porridge
- Add oats and water to bowl
- Microwave for 1minute 30 seconds
- Microwave for a further 20-30 seconds
- Remove from microwave, add a splash of soy milk and stir
- Select toppings of choice and eat immediately
Porridge is just as easily made on the hob the old fashioned way!
Not a fan of porridge? Try making this delicious, protein rich banana bread for breakfast instead.