This soup combines energising sweet potato and protein rich peanut butter to create a super satisfying midweek meal.
Orange and yellow veggies really represent this time of year. Their beautiful golden hues reflecting the colours found in nature. Orange and yellow veggies are a great source of beta-carotene. Beta-carotene converts to vitamin A in the body, an important nutrient in immune support and skin health.
Remember, whenever you make any soup, stop and ask yourself, “how can I add protein to this?” Protein is what helps fills us up and sustains our energy for longer. Examples of protein include: lentils, chickpeas, peas, chicken, and fish. In this recipe, we’ll use peanuts. Without protein, soup is simply veggies and water - you’ll be feeling pretty hungry sound again afterwards.
For the topping:
1. Put a large pan on a low heat. Add a teaspoon of coconut oil and once melted add the leeks. Cook for 3-4 mins. stirring occasionally until softened.
2. Meanwhile, peel the sweet potatoes and chop into rough chunks. Peel and chop the ginger.
3. Once the leeks are translucent, add the sweet potatoes and ginger and 1.5L of veggie stock. Bring to a boil and hard simmer for 15 mins., until the potatoes are cooked. Top up with more hot water if needed.
4. Meanwhile, for the topping, put a small frying pan on a medium heat and gently toast the peanuts. Shake the frying pan occasionally so they don’t burn. Once lightly browned, roughly chop them up and put them into a bowl. Grate over the zest of two limes and combine.
5. Once the sweet potatoes are soft, the soup is ready. Blitz in the saucepan using a stick blender until you get a nice smooth consistency.
6. Add the soy sauce, maple syrup and peanut butter and the juice of one of the limes and blitz again to combine everything.
7. Taste and adjust as needed, adding more lime/soy/maple until it tastes amazing. Add a little sea salt if you like too.
8. Ladle into bowls and top with the toasted lime peanuts.
Looking for other winter soups? Check out my parsnip and lentil soup.
Interested in finding out more about working together? Book a quick chat here. I’d love to hear from you
Hello! Welcome to Stellar Health
I hope you have fun exploring my recipes and feel inspired to experiment with them. Here you will see examples of how I cook with some of my recommended ingredients and experience the benefits for yourself.